What Is Cause Marketing? Explained With Examples
Before coming to the topic, let’s discuss something from where cause marketing comes. At this time, almost everything is transparent. Businesses have understood that consumers not only care about the quality of products or services, but they also care about their contribution to society.
If a company is socially responsible, then people get attracted to the company. And they are also curious what will the company’s next step. Consumers want their brand to come first when it comes to social responsibility.
- A survey showed that around 70% of consumers are always curious to know how brands are thinking regarding the environment and social issues.
- When it comes to brand action, 46% of consumers give a close look.
So, what is cause marketing?
In simple words, this is a marketing strategy where a non-profit organization and for-profit organization collab for a common cause or benefit, that is cause marketing. Also, for-profit brands do charitable or social campaigns to make their impact in the consumer’s mind. This is the reason why this marketing is also called cause related marketing.
I think you have heard the term “Corporate Social Responsibility.” So, brands do their social responsibility to spread awareness. These works also make these brands reputed in society. If a brand puts ethics, sustainability, and social responsibility at the top, then consumers place the brand at the top. Also, cause marketing helps a business to gain the customer’s attention.
Benefits of Cause Marketing
You need to understand that other marketing strategies are for specific objectives. The objectives can be sales, spreading brand awareness, getting into customers’ minds, and others. But there are proper goals and objectives of marketing, but when it comes to cause marketing, the main focus is to gain exposure and increase brand awareness for non-profit organizations.
See, non-profit organizations only have a little money for marketing, so they need other businesses to collab with them. So that small businesses or corporations can help them to gather information and data. There are other benefits too.
- The first thing is to fulfill corporate social responsibility.
- Cause related marketing helps a brand improve its corporate image.
- The marketing strategy is helpful when it comes to building relationships with the community, and it increases loyal customers also.
- Enhance employee morale.
- Right now, there are different brands in the same genre, so the strategy helps brands to do better than the competition.
How To Build A Cause Marketing Campaign?
So, you have understood this marketing very well. Now it is time to build a campaign for your business. Or, if you are thinking of building a future campaign, here is what you can do. First, the main benefits are increasing leads and creating trust and a loyal consumer base. Cause related marketing is great for both non-profit organizations and your business.
If you think that this marketing strategy is only for huge businesses, then you are wrong. Cause marketing is an excellent marketing strategy for small businesses. Because huge brands already have their customers, this marketing strategy is very beneficial to spread awareness and make a good picture of the brand. Now, coming to the steps to make your marketing campaign.
As you can see that this marketing has a cause in it, so the first step is to find the cause. Before that, you should know your audience and then try to build a campaign that will not only be beneficial to the non-profit organization but also will be beneficial to your brand too.
Also, you need to believe in the cause and the responsibilities. If you have no trust in your work, then how are your employees going to believe that? On the other hand, when your employees are passionate about their work, then nothing can stop the outcomes.
Money is not everything when it comes to marketing. Sometimes there are other contributions that you need to provide. Most of the time, small businesses have little money for their marketing. So, excluding money, there are other contributions needed.
- Video services
- Direct mail
- Event planning
- Email marketing
- Campaign ideas
- Advertising and photography
- Product or service donations
- Volunteer groups
- Copywriting for social media and print
One of the important things about cause marketing is the involvement of the audience. You can create polls on social media or can build a landing page, you can also ask the audience to participate. There are different ways to increase audience involvement.
- You can ask for donations for your noble cause.
- You can share social media posts and messages.
- Event participation is a must thing to do.
- Engagement with your nonprofit partners.
- One of the best things you can use is CRM or Customer Relationship Management software.
Collaboration with Non-profit Organizations
The marketing campaign will be more effective if you and your partner are promoting together.
- The first thing is to announce your collaboration.
- Try to tag and mention each other on different mediums.
- Release joint press releases.
- You can write blogs to spread your story.
- You must promote each other by sharing logos.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):-
Here are some interesting questions and answers.
1. What Is An Example Of Cause Related Marketing?
Ans – Suppose you have a company that makes medicines. And you are targeting research on cancer treatment, so you organize an event where there will be fundraising for cancer research. And you will be giving money on that project too. So this is an example of cause marketing.
2. What Are The Types Of Cause Marketing?
Ans – Though cause marketing can be so many different types, here are six main types.
- Purchase-triggered donations
- Facilitated giving
- Direct marketing
3. How Do You Do Cause Marketing?
Ans – Here are the basic six steps that you can follow.
- Finding the cause of the campaign
- Now, you need to set a goal
- Selecting a time important
- Customer Involvement
- Use different medias
If you start finding now, then you can see that there are so many examples of cause-related marketing. Companies do this marketing to spread awareness and try to understand the big picture. Every company wants to make its image better. Sometimes, after a bad PR, companies use this strategy.
Please let us know in the comment section below if you have anything to ask.